Step 1: Watch the Video
Step 2: Pass the Quiz
Pick the best response for each question (answers below):
1) For long-term career success, one of these is more important than all the others. Which one is it?
2) During a job search, how many active leads should a jobseeker have going at one time?
- a dozen
3) One of these statements is false. Which one is it?
- Your job search should be systematic, and you should look, systematically, for only a couple of types of jobs at a time.
- You should always be willing to jump on a cool idea if you stumble across one.
- Knowing what you want to do is the one of the most important things in your search.
- Really great career ideas can come from any source, a movie, an overheard comment, a meddling auntie, or a Skype, telephone or face-to-face meeting with one of your school’s career counselors.
4) All you need to define a job is…
- All of the above
1: B, 2: C, 3: D, 4: D
Step 3: Read the Text
- Read How to Get Any Job, focusing on Chapters 1, 3, 5, and 13.
Step 4: Explore the Job Market
- Sign up for a free test of dnb.com and see how it works.
- Sign up for Twitter and learn how to search for the following:
- An organization name, like “Jill’s Awesome All Natural Bakery” or the “San Francisco Giants.”
- An industry term, like “architecture” or “software.”
- Sign up for LinkedIn. No one can conduct a job search who is not on LinkedIn.
- Send an invitation to “firstname.lastname@example.org,” and I’ll link with you!
- Learn how to find alumni from your alma mater who work in advertising, or live in Chicago, or work in advertising in Chicago.
Step 5: Complete the Survey (optional)
- Finish the Career Values Survey to learn more about your ideal job situation.
LifeLaunch! was created by Donald Asher and associate, Jason Morris to help you, a recent college graduate, advance your career.
Donald Asher is an internationally recognized author and speaker on the topics of careers and higher education. QuintCareers dubbed him “America’s Job Search Guru” and named him a Career MasterMind. He is well known as the author of many career help guides, including Cracking the Hidden Job Market, The Overnight Resume, How to Get Any Job, Who Gets Promoted, Who Doesn’t, and Why, and the best-selling guide to getting into graduate school, Graduate Admissions Essays.
Want more resources and updates? Join us on LinkedIn, Instagram, Facebook and Twitter to view regular updates on programs. Currently in school? You can also access our College-to-Career Road Map for step-by-step suggestions to pump up your job search each semester. Also, browse our Net Effect video replay library to watch conversations with professionals in our community in a variety of fields. Learn more and connect directly with those professionals to continue building your own network.