Website Berkeley Hall
Fearless Scholars. Conscientious Citizens.
Starting in August 2022, this position provides an educational environment that is safe, stimulating, and developmentally appropriate in which students have the opportunity to develop cognitive, social, emotional, and physical skills. This position is responsible for the implementation of grade-level appropriate curriculum by utilizing the teaching tools administered by the Assistant Head of School: Teaching and Learning and Upper Division Director.
This position includes but is not limited to the following duties:
- Plans and implements grade-appropriate language arts curriculum based on the Teachers College Reading and Writing units of study.
- Creates a yearly lesson plan, maintains a plan book, and implements lesson plans on a daily basis in collaboration with the Upper Division Director and Assistant Head of School Teaching and Learning.
- Provides in-person supervision and instruction on school days when students are physically on campus.
- Conducts all teaching and learning activities associated with this position in the event of a required shift to remote learning.
- Establishes effective classroom management and student discipline systems, such as the implementation of Responsive Classroom, in collaboration with Upper Division Director and Director of Student Wellness.
- Regularly assesses students and maintains assessment documentation.
- Plans and leads developmentally appropriate SEL and character education activities for students which align with BHS mission and core values, in collaboration with Upper Division Director and Director of
- Supervises students during recesses, lunches, and before/after school as assigned.
- Participates in Depth of Study—teacher professional development—groups (and other meetings).
- Cooperates with Upper Division Director, AHOS: Teaching and Learning, and Director of Student Wellness to ensure effective function of department and delivery of education to students.
- Facilitates advisory and student-led clubs, when applicable.
- Communicates regularly and effectively with parents as partners in students’ education.
- Keeps current with the subject matter.
- Analyzes data to inform instruction.
- Utilizes components of a workshop classroom, e.g. lesson structure (mini-lesson, mid workshop, share), individual conferences, and small group work.
- Actively engages SEL professional development and implementation.
- Actively participates in school enrollment management initiatives.
- Follows and teaches into the technology and digital citizenship standards for BHS.
- Works successfully with a team of teachers in the Junior High Department.
- Proficient use of technology.
- Follows guidelines for fulfillment of duties as described in the Employee Handbook.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
QUALIFICATIONS: In harmony with the teachings of Christian Science
Bachelor of Arts/Science degree (required)
- Teaching credential (required)
- Experience teaching multiple-subjects (preferred)
- Knowledge of Columbia Teachers’ College Reading/Writing Project (preferred)
- Ability to provide proof of COVID vaccination (or exemption)
- Live Scan and TB clearance
SKILLS: Fosters a collaborative learning environment for both teachers and students.
- Exhibits a growth mindset.
- Ability to multitask and meet deadlines.
- Takes initiative and is a self-starter.
- Thoughtfully and effectively communicates with colleagues, students, parents, and teachers.
- Ability to maintain effective working relationships; is a team player and puts relationships first.
- Teaches with courage and emotional agility–a high level of emotional intelligence is required.
- Moves through uncertainty and adversity with grace and balance.
- Ability to give and receive feedback effectively and efficiently.
- Commitment to BHS diversity, equity, inclusion, and belonging initiatives.
- Has a working knowledge and proficient use of Microsoft Office, and g suite
- Knowledge of MacBooks, iPads, and associated applications and technologies
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS: Regularly sits, talks, and listens
- Be able to occasionally lift up to 50 lbs.
- Regularly uses close and distance vision
- Works at desk and computer screen for extended periods of time
- Turns, bends, and reaches
- Works in a traditional, climate-controlled office environment
- Ability to walk 60-acre campus
To apply for this job please visit berkeleyhall.org.